Reporting to TARA’s Chief Business Officer, the Associate Director, Engineering will be responsible for (a) manufacture of TARA’s next-generation tissue production platform, including supervision of junior engineers and management of suppliers and vendors, (b) maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment, (c) establishing manufacturing standards and protocols to meet ISO certification requirements, (d) working closely with tissue biologists to achieve reliable production of consistently high-quality tissues and substrates, and (e) evaluating new microfabrication technologies that will drive greater scale, improved yields, and consistently high-quality biology. TARA’s tissue production system employs principles and innovations from electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, semiconductor fabrication, optical imaging and image analysis, materials science, microfluidics, data science, and stem cell science. Ideal candidates will have formal training and significant experience operating across two or more of these disciplines in an industrial bioengineering environment.
- A bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline plus at least 7 years of directly relevant work experience OR a doctoral degree in an engineering discipline plus at least 3 years of directly relevant work experience in a commercial bioengineering lab and/or cleanroom.
- Prior work experience in a startup or small company setting.
- Prior project management experience with a track record of delivering on-time and on-budget.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills. Capable of prioritizing tasks, managing multiple projects, multi-tasking and meeting established deadlines.
- Sense of urgency and high level of integrity in honoring commitments.
- Team player with ability to work alongside all levels of staff as well as external partners, to drive alignment and collaboration toward defined objectives in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Exceptional written communication skills, including the ability to convey information in a manner that is clear, compelling, and succinct.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Able to methodically breakdown complex problems into manageable components; identify key factors that influence the viability of different solutions; and clarify information needed to solve problems.
- Ability to consider long-term consequences and implications associated with actions or events; to see relationships between diverse systems, organizations, or environments; and consider problems from a range of viewpoints/perspectives.
- Must be flexible and able to quickly adapt to dynamic working conditions.
- Effective working with ambiguity. Able to achieve forward progress in the face of limited or partial information.
- Proficiency with CAD software, Microsoft Office required. Proficiency with MATLAB, Python, and/or C++ preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive compensation package that includes stock options and bonus eligibility, TARA promotes work/life balance and the overall health and wellbeing of its employees through an attractive, comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Competitive holiday and vacation benefits.
- Company-subsidized medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Company-sponsored access to telemedicine services, for online medical consults.
- Company-sponsored membership to One Medical for you, your spouse, and children.
- Company-sponsored membership to an on-site 24-hour employee gym.
- FSA benefits program for pre-tax healthcare and dependent care expenses.
- A 401K program, including low expense fee options, for pre-tax retirement savings.
- Commuter benefits program for pre-tax transit expenses.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
TARA Biosystems, Inc. is a rapidly growing life science company developing physiologically-relevant ”human-on-a-chip” tissue models and proprietary data analytics for drug discovery and development applications. We operate in a fast‐paced environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute to all facets of the business, from reinforcing TARA’s solid scientific reputation to cementing a lasting company culture based on innovation and mutual respect. TARA is seeking a high performing and enthusiastic individual who can quickly integrate into our team and make an impact on day one!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.