TARA Biosystems, Inc. is a rapidly growing life science company developing physiologically-relevant ”heart‐on‐a‐chip” tissue models and proprietary cardiac data analytics for drug discovery, modeling disease and development applications. We operate in a fast‐paced environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute to all facets of the business, from reinforcing TARA’s solid scientific reputation to cementing a lasting company culture based on innovation and mutual respect. TARA is seeking a high performing and enthusiastic individual who can quickly integrate into our team and make an impact on day one!
As a key member of our growing scientific team, the Research Associate-Drug Discovery will be part of our R&D group and will be involved in developing and executing experimental plans. They will work with cutting edge science in the growing field of complex iPSC-derived tissue models, performing laboratory‐based activities with a high degree of reliability, efficiency, and accuracy. We seek a cross‐functional team‐player who can work independently and achieve results with and through colleagues. At TARA we work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, optimize, validate, and execute novel screening assays for drug discovery targets using stem cell derived cardiac myocytes in 2D culture and 3D tissues. Assays will involve biochemical readouts as well as functional measures of cardiac contractility, calcium handling and electrophysiology
- Develop, optimize, validate, and execute models of cardiac disease in 2D culture and 3D tissues to support efficacy models for drug discovery
- Perform calcium transient recordings using optical calcium indicator dyes
- Develop detailed experimental plans and execute studies to characterize healthy and disease tissue
- Collect, format, and perform data analysis using NIS software, ImageJ, Knime, PRISM and other software packages as needed.
- Generate technical reports
- Regularly present findings to lab members and external clients
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in cell biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical engineering or a related discipline, and 3+ years of academic or industry experience in a related field.
- At least 2 years of experience performing cell/tissue‐based assays in an industrial or commercial lab setting. Experience in assay development required.
- Experience with sterile tissue culture utilizing aseptic technique. Prior experience with engineered tissues and/or stem cell culture a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with ImageJ, Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with statistical analysis tools like Prism or JMP preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive compensation package that includes stock options and bonus eligibility, TARA promotes work/life balance and the overall health and well-being of its employees through an attractive, comprehensive benefits program.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.