TARA Biosystems, Inc. is rapidly growing life science company developing physiologically relevant ”heart‐on‐a‐chip” tissue models and proprietary cardiac data analytics for drug discovery, modeling disease and development applications. We operate in a fast‐paced environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute to all facets of the business, from reinforcing TARA’s solid scientific reputation to cementing a lasting company culture based on innovation and mutual respect. TARA is seeking a high performing and enthusiastic individual who can quickly integrate into our team and make an impact on day one!
As a key member of our growing scientific team, the Research Scientist will be part of our R&D group and will be involved in developing and executing experimental plans. They will work with cutting edge science in the growing field of complex iPSC-derived tissue models, performing laboratory‐based activities with a high degree of reliability, efficiency, and accuracy. We seek a cross‐functional team‐player who can work independently and achieve results with and through colleagues. At TARA we work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform intracellular action potential recordings and contractility measurements via a force transducer from intact tissues in an organ bath
- Develop, optimize and validate novel assays for functional measurement of cardiac tissue contractility and electrophysiology
- Perform calcium transient recordings using optical calcium indicator dyes
- Develop detailed experimental plans and execute studies to characterize healthy and disease tissue
- Collect, format, and perform data analysis using MATLAB, ImageJ, Clampfit and PRISM.
- Generate technical reports
- Regularly present findings to lab members and external clients
- PhD in cell biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical engineering or a related discipline, or a master’s degree and 5+ years of academic or industry experience in a related field.
- Demonstrable laboratory-based experience with electrophysiology including experience optimizing protocols and performing complex data analysis.
- At least 2 years of experience performing cell/tissue‐based assays in an industrial or commercial lab setting. Experience in assay development a plus.
- Lab-based experience working with cardiac tissues.
- Experience with sterile tissue culture utilizing aseptic technique. Prior experience with engineered tissues and/or stem cell culture a plus.
- Exceptionally keen attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MATLAB, ImageJ, Clampfit, Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with statistical analysis tools like Prism or JMP preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive compensation package that includes stock options and bonus eligibility, TARA promotes work/life balance and the overall health and wellbeing of its employees through an attractive, comprehensive benefits program.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.