TARA Biosystems, Inc. is a rapidly growing life science company developing physiologically relevant ”heart-on-a-chip” tissue models and proprietary cardiac data analytics for drug discovery and development applications. We operate in a fast‐paced environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute to all facets of the business, from reinforcing TARA’s solid scientific reputation to cementing a lasting company culture based on innovation and mutual respect. TARA is seeking a high performing and enthusiastic individual who can quickly integrate into our team and make an impact on day one!
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP, Finance and Administration will (a) develop and lead all finance and administrative efforts for the Company, (b) provide tactical and strategic support in all aspects of the Company’s finances, and (c) scale the Company’s HR administration in the areas of payroll, benefits, culture, and office operations. The successful candidate will be a strategic individual with at least 10 years of managerial accounting, financial and HR management experience in a rapidly growing life sciences start-up environment. This role will be ever changing and will require the candidate to be flexible and open-minded, keeping the big picture in mind while paying close attention to details and processes.
- Building and leading a best-in-class finance, accounting, HR, and admin infrastructure; focusing on streamlined systems and processes; and sustaining growth and an excellent culture.
- Developing and maintaining necessary accounting and HR policies and systems and building accounting and HR capabilities as the Company grows.
- Overseeing accounting for all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, financing, and payroll.
- Coordinating, preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Ensuring a smooth audit process by creating and maintaining internal controls, establishing and maintaining immaculate record keeping, managing the audit process with external firms and providing requisite schedules.
- Serving as the 401(k) administrator, managing the 401(k) audit process and filing Form 5500 annually.
- Overseeing and managing the company’s finance IT system and choosing appropriate software programs & processes based on unique needs.
- Coordinating corporate tax reporting and preparation of tax returns with outside tax accountants.
- Ensuring that the operating infrastructure is in place to support the achievement of financial targets and long-range plans aligned with the organization’s strategic plans.
- Leading financial planning, budgeting and reporting and creating and maintaining budgeting tools.
- Interacting with the Company’s board of directors, as requested by the CEO.
- Strategize and execute on the Company’s hiring roadmap in coordination with senior leadership and hiring managers.
- Ensure that Company’s benefits and compensation plans are competitive with market standards and trends.
- Be a steward of the Company’s values, mission, and culture.
- Proactively develop and execute on strategies to enhance employee engagement, including the development performance assessment processes and professional development programs.
- Other finance, HR and administrative duties as required.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in a fast-growing company environment.
- Recent experience scaling finance, HR, and administrative operations from inception to $20M annual revenues and/or inception to 50+ full-time employees strongly preferred.
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration.
- CPA, Big 4 experience, SHRM membership/certification strongly preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and other accounting principles, laws and best practices including GAAP.
- Solid experience with financial analysis and forecasting, including experience with three statement financial modeling, preparing statistical reports and making recommendations based on analysis and research.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with tax processes including:
- Annual Federal Form 1120
- Annual State NY Form
- International Form 5471
- Depreciation and amortization schedules (MACRS)
- NY use and sales taxes
- R&D Tax Credit Form 6765, R&D Tax Credit Inputs/Study, 2016 R&D Tax Credit Payroll Offset
- Alternative Minimum Taxation (AMT)
- Net Operating Losses (NOLs)
- Local Business Registrations & Compliance
- New York Capital Base Tax
- W9/1099 and W8/1042 implementation and execution
- Strong knowledge of federal and NYS employment law.
- Significant recruiting experience a major plus.
- Proven track record of mentoring and coaching employees.
- Familiarity and knowledge of immigration processes and regulations pertaining to employment.
- Mastery knowledge of Microsoft Office and QuickBooks.
- Comfortable in the startup environment.
- Strong priority management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive compensation package that includes stock options and bonus eligibility, TARA promotes work/life balance and the overall health and wellbeing of its employees through an attractive, comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Competitive holiday and vacation benefits.
- Company-subsidized medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Company-sponsored access to telemedicine services, for online medical consults.
- Company-sponsored membership to One Medical for you, your spouse, and children.
- Company-sponsored membership to an on-site 24-hour employee gym.
- FSA benefits program for pre-tax healthcare and dependent care expenses.
- A 401K program, including low expense fee options, for pre-tax retirement savings.
- Commuter benefits program for pre-tax transit expenses.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.