TARA Biosystems, Inc. is a rapidly growing biotechnology company with a focus on discovering novel medicines for heart failure, utilizing our state-of-the-art cardiac tissue engineering platform and drug discovery capabilities. We operate in a fast‐paced environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute to all facets of the business, from reinforcing TARA’s solid scientific reputation to cementing a lasting company culture based on innovation and mutual respect. TARA is seeking a high performing and enthusiastic individual who can quickly integrate into our team and make an impact on day one!
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP of Business Development will have the following key responsibilities:
- Engage senior leaders and other stakeholders to develop overall BD vision & strategy.
- Coordinate efforts to evaluate and execute new strategic business opportunities, partnerships, collaborations, acquisitions, alliances, licensing deals, and/or joint ventures, including:
- Screen, source, and triage potential opportunities to support TARA’s vision and strategy
- Coordinate due diligence efforts
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders
- Generate opportunity analyses, forecasting, and value models
- Structure and negotiate deals, collaborating with all relevant parties from TARA including, science, business, finance, legal, IP, etc.
- Engage in alliance management efforts to manage existing and potential relationships.
- Stay current on relevant biopharma deals and share findings with key stakeholders (e.g., scientific literature, deal announcements and details, BD-related competitive landscape changes).
- Analyze new market areas to optimally achieve BD vision.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Life Sciences, and/or MBA or JD, or equivalent degree
- Minimum 12 years of experience within biopharma, and minimum 5 years of relevant transaction experience
- Track record of success (measured by medium- and long-term value) with biopharma deals, experience with variety of collaborations, partnerships, acquisitions, and other strategic alliances (including platform deals)
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to influence and collaborate with colleagues across the company outside of reporting relationships
- Strategic competence underpinning ability to establish BD vision and strategy
- Exceptional analytical skills, as demonstrated through:
- Objective and strategic framing of opportunities
- Financial and deal model development
- Robust quantitative analysis of valuation for each opportunity
- Ability to develop and analyze sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk, product valuations, and company valuations with strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques
- Strength in integrating scientific knowledge into strategy, analyses, negotiations, and contracts
- Competence in working with Legal and other stakeholders to review term sheets and contracts
- Experience communicating effectively (both verbal and written) with senior management, counterparties, and other external stakeholders
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with high degree of independence
- In-depth knowledge of drug development process
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In addition to a competitive compensation package that includes stock options and bonus eligibility, TARA promotes work/life balance and the overall health and wellbeing of its employees through an attractive, comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Competitive holiday and vacation benefits.
- Company-subsidized medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Company-sponsored access to telemedicine services, for online medical consults.
- Company-sponsored membership to One Medical for you, your spouse, and children.
- Company-sponsored membership to an on-site 24-hour employee gym.
- FSA benefits program for pre-tax healthcare and dependent care expenses.
- A 401K program, including low expense fee options, for pre-tax retirement savings.
- Commuter benefits program for pre-tax transit expenses.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.